Do you know what makes me happy? Chocolate cake makes me happy. So very happy. It’s one of those things where as soon as I take that first bite, I’m instantly transported to my own chocolate la la land.
This recipe is simply perfect. It is moist and ultra chocolatey, and truly comes out great every time. It is also a one-bowl recipe, which is just the icing on the cake (pun intended).
Any time I need to make a chocolate birthday cake, a small batch of cupcakes, a 4 tiered wedding cake, or anything in between, this is the recipe I grab.
Simple Chocolate Cake
July 10, 2019
: 10 min
: 40 min
: 1 hr
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp hot coffee (or water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 2 In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
- Step 3 Add the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined (about 3 minutes).
- Step 4 For cupcakes: Line 2 standard cupcake pans with liners. Fill each with a leveled large cookie scoop (3 tbsp). Bake one pan at a time for 18-20 minutes.
- Step 5 For 9″ layer cake: Spray two 9″ round pans with non-stick spray. Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time.