Soft, sweet, and ultra buttery brioche makes the perfect vessel for a sweet and tangy cream cheese filling.
Cheese danishes are a long-time favorite of mine. I will choose one from a menu pretty much whenever they are available, and I have rarely left Starbucks without one in hand. I have made them many times using frozen puff pastry, but after discovering a new love in brioche, I knew I had to bring the two together.
The bread is so soft on the inside, but has a thin crust that I just love to sink my teeth into. That, combined with a tangy cream cheese filling, and a sprinkle of crunchy pearl sugar, and you have the makings of the perfect breakfast pastry.
What you’ll need to make Brioche Cheese Danish:
- Basic Brioche Dough
- Full fat cream cheese
- Granulated sugar
- One lemon
- A pinch of salt
- Vanilla extract
- Swedish pearl sugar
- A pastry brush
- Baking sheets
- Parchment paper
How to make them:
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the brioche dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Press each piece into a 5″ circle.
- Place 4 pieces, evenly spaced, on each baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or an overturned plastic container and set in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
- While the dough is rising make your filling by combining your cream cheese, granulated sugar, an egg, the zest of a lemon, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt, beating until smooth.
- Make an egg wash by beating together an egg with a splash of water until completely smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Once the dough has risen, carefully press the bottom of a small measuring cup or a small ladle into the center of each brioche circle to create a well.
- Fill the wells generously with the cream cheese filling.
- Using a pastry brush, gently brush the egg wash over the tops and sides of the exposed dough.
- Sprinkle the perimeter of the dough with the Swedish pearl sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until they become a light golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
Brioche Cheese Danish
- Step 1 Divide dough into 8 equal portions
- Step 2 Press each portion into a 5″ circle, like you’re making tiny pizzas.
- Step 3 Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and place 4 portions on each, leaving plenty of space between them to allow for rising.
- Step 4 Cover loosely with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Step 5 Just before they are done rising, make the filling.
- Step 6 Combine the cream cheese with the granulated sugar until smooth.
- Step 7 Add 1 of the eggs, the lemon zest, vanilla extract and salt. Beat until just combined.
- Step 8 Whisk the remaining egg with a splash of water to make an egg wash.
- Step 9 When the dough is finished rising, place a generous amount of filling in the center of each portion.
- Step 10 Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of the dough with the egg wash, and sprinkle each with the Swedish pearl sugar (you can omit the sugar or use regular sugar if you prefer.)
- Step 11 Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown. (Start checking around the 17 minute mark as oven temperatures vary.)
- Step 12 Allow to cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Enjoy!