This fluffy vanilla snack cake topped with a rich chocolate frosting, and will definitely give you Duncan Hines vibes, but while the recipe is super simple and nearly as quick as using a box mix, it tastes much better.
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting is such a fun and classic combo. This is a great recipe to have on file to throw one together from scratch without all the work that homemade cakes usually require. There is no creaming, no careful folding, no dividing batter. You really just whisk it together, and pour it all into a greased pan before baking. It really couldn’t be more simple.
What you’ll need to make One Bowl Vanilla Snack Cake:
- Cake flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil
- Whole milk
- Vanilla extract
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Cocoa powder
- 9″ cake pan or baking dish
- Non-stick baking spray
- Mixing bowl
- Offset spatula
- Rainbow sprinkles (optional)
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9″ square cake pan or baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whisk just until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the cake springs back when pressed gently.
- Allow cake to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, place all the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on ‘2’ until completely smooth.
- Use an offset spatula or a spoon to smooth the frosting over the cooled cake.
- Top with sprinkles if you feel like it!
One Bowl Vanilla Snack Cake
A simple vanilla snack cake with rich chocolate frosting.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch kosher salt
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 2 Spray a 9″ square cake pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Step 3 Make the batter- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and kosher salt.
- Step 4 Add the eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla.
- Step 5 With an electric mixer, mix on low speed for 2 minutes.
- Step 6 Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Step 7 Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown and top springs back when gently pressed.
- Step 8 Set aside to cool completely.
- Step 9 Make the frosting- Place all frosting ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Step 10 With the paddle attachment, mix on medium low speed for 3 minutes or until completely smooth.
- Step 11 When cake is completely cool, use an offset spatula or a spoon to cover the cake with the frosting.