Light and fluffy, with a sprinkle of pearl sugar for crunch and a touch of sweetness, these buns will put a smile on your face. They don’t need any bells and whistles. They’re not trying to be fancy. They are perfect just the way they are. Sugared Brioche Buns- Simple. Sweet. Perfect.
If you have leftover brioche dough, you should probably make these. If you don’t have leftover brioche dough, you should make some now so you can make these. They are incredibly simple, and I cannot imagine a more perfect accompaniment to a hot cup of tea.
What you’ll need to make Sugared Brioche Buns:
- Half of a batch of brioche dough
- One egg
- Swedish pearl sugar
- Cupcake liners
- Muffin tin
- Pastry brush
What to do:
- Line a standard muffin tin with 8 cupcake liners.
- Divide the dough into 8 even portions.
- Shape each portion into a ball.
- Place one ball into each cupcake liner.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
- While the buns are rising, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare the egg wash by whisking together the egg with the water until completely smooth. I like to strain my egg wash before using it, but it’s not necessary.
- Once the buns are doubled in volume and puffy, gently brush the egg wash over the tops, being careful to not deflate them.
- Sprinkle the buns generously with the Swedish pearl sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until they are a nice golden brown.
- Let the buns cool slightly before serving. They are best served warm, but they keep well in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Sugared Brioche Buns
- Step 1 Line a muffin tin with 8 paper liners, or place 8 free standing paper baking cups on a baking sheet.
- Step 2 Divide dough into 8 equal portions.
- Step 3 Shape each portion into a tight ball and place in a paper liner.
- Step 4 Cover loosely with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot to rise until doubled in size, about 2-2 1/2 hours.
- Step 5 Meanwhile, whisk together the egg and water to create an egg wash.
- Step 6 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 7 Once buns have finish rising, use a pastry brush to gently coat the tops with the egg wash.
- Step 8 Sprinkle the tops with the pearl sugar.
- Step 9 Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. (Begin checking around 17 minutes as oven temperatures vary.)
- Step 10 Let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Enjoy!